Our Skills development programme is focused on unemployed youth. Youth are in this case historically disadvantaged individuals between 18-35 years old.We focus on skills development for youth because of the extremely high unemployment rates in township communities. Youth often don’t have access to tertiary education institutions and are sitting at home without work.By providing relevant skills we aim to give them a better chance to get a solid job. We’ve started our skills development course in 2014 and since then have trained youth in IT – End User Computing and Fashion & Design. An interesting note to make here is that all our skills development facilitators are previous students.
Our Skills Development Programs in 2018:
- In Orange Farm we are providing youth with End User Computing, Business Administration, Call Centre and Fashion and Design Training.
- In Diepsloot we train youth in Business Administration, End User Computing and Preschool Facilitator.
- In Lichtenburg we have a hard-skills centre where we train youth in Working on Heights, Welding, Grinding, Fitting and Turning as well as End User Computing and Business Administration.
- We have provided learnerships to 100 young people in Orange Farm and Diepsloot, where we currently run our programmes and will be providing more this year.
- Ten young people in Orange Farm were given jobs in the fashion department. These young people are given an opportunity to put theory into practice as they are previous Fashion & Design students.
Photo: an I.T Facilitator assisting a student in class.